We need your help!
We need your help - the remit of this website is huge. If you would like to lend us a hand, please contact the editor with your ideas. If you have some specialist knowledge, or a particular subject that you are passionate about, or are just plain interested in helping us out, let us know about it. The help can be in the form of 'behind the scenes' work, writing articles for us, a regular news review, or any number of things. Please get in contact with us!
We have identified a number of questions that need to be addressed:
* Why are reoffending rates so high? How can they be reduced?
* How can we reduce the chronic drug problems present in our prisons?
* What is the best way to get ex-convicts into work? Should this be a national, or local policy?
* What problems are associated with prison mothers, for both mother and child? Is it better to take the children into care, and allow the mother to sit out her full sentence? Should the mother and child be housed in prison together? Or should mother and child be kept together in a different kind of establishment (if so, what kind?)? Should we prioritise the needs of the mother or the needs of the child, from a reducing crime perspective?
* How can we encourage youth offenders to move away from a life of crime? What youth correction schemes should be used? Should we have a national youth crime reduction policy, or a local one?
* What should the police priorities be? Once crime reduction priorities are identified, which policing methods work for them, and which ones do not?
* Sweden's rehabilitation scheme is often cited as being the best in the world - but is it? How much does it cost? What is the success rate? How can it be improved? Is it cost effective?
* What are the specific education problems that our prisoners have? Are these related to reoffending rates? If so, what is the best method of increasing the educational attainment of convicts whilst in prison?
But don't let us limit your contributions - if you have ideas of your own, get in contact!